Unsweetened Chocolate Chia Pudding

May 21, 2014   |   10 Comments

Blub. blub, glug.  Mingus pours the Unsweetened chocolate soymilk, himself.

4Q2A5862-650pw

“What are those?”  Despite all the times I’ve given him Chia pudding, he doesn’t recognize raw Chia seeds

4Q2A5859-650pw

Fffft.  They slide into the jar.

4Q2A5881-650pw

ZZtt, Zzzt, Zttt.  The cap goes on.

4Q2A5887-650pw

A moment of wild shaking… and the precious concoction is revealed.

4Q2A5927-650pw

His appetite won’t wait.  Slurp, Slurp.

4Q2A5876-650pw

In the time it takes Mingus to drink down half of the jar, the pudding begins to congeal.

He chirps, “It was like chocolate milk, but now it has the same texture as ketchup!”

Hearing “ketchup”, Beluga comes running to claim his share.  I stand aside and make another set of puddings to put in the fridge for tomorrow.

4Q2A5960-650pw

Unsweetended Chocolate Chia Pudding
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 1

There are so many variations of chia pudding and sometimes it’s worth remembering how simple it can be. Personally, I love using almond milk and a dash of cinnamon, but the kids love chocolate, so chocolate it is!
Ingredients
  • 1 Cup Unsweetened Chocolate Soymilk
  • 3 Tbs Chia Seeds
Instructions
  1. Exact measurements aren’t necessary. Just pour the unsweetened chocolate soymilk into a jar.
  2. Add a little pile of chia seeds, any color will do.
  3. Then screw the cap of the jar on tight and give it a very big shake.
  4. Store the jar in the refrigerator overnight. The following morning, afternoon or evening, take it out and eat it right out of the jar.

• Barbara @ Barbara Bakes
    May 26, 2014 at 2:57 am

So easy! I’m with the kids on this one. Chocolate!

• Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic
    May 26, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I love chia pudding! Haven’t tried it with chocolate soymilk yet and it looks like I’m missing out so I better make this soon! :)

• Simply called food
    May 28, 2014 at 12:48 pm

We just love chia pounding! Las time I even added some hemp seeds! It really looks delicious!

May 28, 2014 at 1:55 pm

What a wonderful idea! I have almond milk and chia seeds right now in my house. LOVE the cinnamon idea, too. I’ll most definitely be making this. :)

PS – I love your photos. The light is simply lovely in them and your perspective is cool, too.

• Lisa H.|from My Lemony Kitchen...
    May 28, 2014 at 11:43 pm

I have yet to try Chia puddings :)
    Looking at Mingus enjoying his treat makes me want to make some now 😀

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    June 5, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I am totally trying this.. I have the chia seeds.. time for that pudding!

• Melanie @ Happy Being Healthy
    June 6, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I LOVE all of your pictures and this pudding looks so simple and yummy! LOVE!

June 10, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I tried your suggested almond milk/cinnamon combo and it was tasty! Took a little longer to set up – more like 24 hours but my chia seeds aren’t fresh so maybe that’s it. Either way, it was a fantastic treat. :)

June 28, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Yes – if you want your pudding thick, then 24 hours is more accurate. We typically eat it on the runnier side so that it’s still drinkable.

June 30, 2014 at 9:36 am

Ah, that’s good to know. It was good either way! :)