Parmesan Cheddar Souffle

June 8, 2014   |   26 Comments

Early pangs of hunger set in long before dinner, so amid requests for ice cream and a fifth slice of dried mango, we settle on Parmesan.

4Q2A5737-650pw

A few nibbles delay my son’s appetite, but distraction is more effective.  And so, I task him with grating the Parmesan for [drum roll….] a Souffle.

4Q2A5739-650pw

“A what?

I explain: a souffle is somewhere between a popover and a quiche.  His look tells me he isn’t sold on the idea, so I present the cheese that will be going into the dish.  He raises his eyebrows and asks, “How do we start?”

4Q2A5753-650pw

It’s a collaborative project.  While he grates the cheese, I separate the eggs, measure out ingredients and cook the roux.

4Q2A5813-650pw

We’ve been eating cheesy dishes after a conversation last week with my youngest son.

“I love cheese.”

“Me too.”

“What could be better?”

“Nothing… except fire trucks.”

Manchego, Parmesan, Tomme de Crayeuse… I  have something to prove, some necessary understanding to pass on to my progeny.  So, here I am trying to one-up fire trucks.  Possibly an impossible task in the life a three year old boy.

4Q2A5768-650pw

Mingus is my accomplice. “Is this really going to be good?”

“Yes.”

“What if it tastes like dirt?”

“It won’t.  Good ingredients went in, right?”

Kerplunk! Kerplop! Kerploosh!  Mingus drops chunks of cheddar into our pot and reassures himself, “Good ingredients went in, so it’s supposed to be good.”

4Q2A5825-650pw

We ever so gently fold together a milky roux and a bowl full of egg whites.  Mingus helps me scoop this frothy confection into a baking dish.  He’s still skeptical.

4Q2A5849-650pw

Embracing the elegance inherent in a souffle, I call “Polite Night”.  We light a candle at the table and amid the requisite napkins, silverware, please-and-thank-yous, dinner achieves a rare level of success.

Turning to Beluga I query, “What do you think of the Parmesan Souffle?  Pretty good, huh?”

Mouth full.  Mmmmghghmm.  He locks eyes and explains, “Not like fire trucks.”

4Q2A5846-650pw

Parmesan Cheddar Souffle
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6

A souffle sounds fancy, but it has a wonderful texture and gentle palette for young eaters. I’ve tweaked this recipe from one on the food network by Alton Brown, making it even further family friendly.
Ingredients
  • A Pat of Butter for greasing your baking dish
  • Approximately 2 Tbs grated Parmesan
  • 3 Tbs Flour
  • ½ tsp Dried Garlic Powder
  • A Dash of Salt
  • 1⅓ Cups Milk
  • 4 Large Egg Yolks
  • Approximately 6 ounces Cheddar Cheese (I prefer a sharp and flavorful Cheddar)
  • 5 Egg Whites
  • 1 Tbs Water
Instructions
  1. This recipe begins with a favorite kid activity – smudge a pat of butter around your baking dish to fully grease the inside. I remind my children not to eat all the butter out of hand. Then they sprinkle the grated Parmesan over the buttered dish and it all shake around. The bits of cheese jump about for a few shakes, then settle, stuck to the butter.
  2. Against your instinct, place the baking dish in the freezer.
  3. Set your oven to 350 degrees.
  4. You can bring out the Cheddar cheese and set a child up to break it into smaller bits. A table knife will do.
  5. Now comes the adult part: in a pot, heat the butter for several minutes, cooking out all the water. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, garlic powder, and salt. Add these ingredients to the melted butter and cook for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. Pour in the milk and turn the heat to high, stirring constantly. When the mixture boils, take it off the burner.
  6. Now it’s time to separate the eggs. If my kids want part of it, I use three bowls: a bowl for the egg white we’re cracking, a bowl for the accumulated successful egg whites, and a bowl for the yolks. There’s nothing more frustrating than separating 3 eggs, only to have yolk run into a bowl full of whites.
  7. In a fresh medium bowl, beat the egg yolks until creamy. Continuing to stir the yolks, add a cup of the milky combination. Tempering the yolks will keep them from solidifying and then you can safely add the mixture to the pot.
  8. My son likes to be the one, then, to add his Cheddar chunks to the pot.
  9. Then, take your bowl of egg whites, add the water, and whip it into stiff peaks with an electric hand mixer.
  10. Add ¼ of the egg whites at a time to your milky mixture, folding the two gently together.
  11. Pour it all into your cold baking dish and bake for 35 minutes:)

• Matt
    June 8, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Wow! Love the action shot of Mingus blowing on the cheese wedge. Out of curiosity, what’s the green plant(?) in the top image?

June 8, 2014 at 11:32 pm

It’s green trick dianthus – a hearty thing that lasts around 2 weeks.

• Matt
        June 8, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Awesome. Hadn’t heard of it! Thanks :)

• Amy @ Elephant Eats
    June 9, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Mmm, this souffle looks delicious. How lucky you are to have such adorable kitchen helpers! :)

June 10, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Oh this looks divine, Laura. Little is better than a well-made souffle. :) Looks like the boys really enjoyed it, too! It’s so wonderful how you include them in your cooking adventures.

• Lady Lilith
    June 10, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I like how you let you little one help. Looks like something my girls would love enjoying as well.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Jhanis
    June 10, 2014 at 2:48 pm

That looks heavenly! And you have the cutest assistant!:)

• Simply called food
    June 10, 2014 at 6:08 pm

It really looks delicious! I was never able to make a descent soufflé! :-)

• Melanie @ Happy Being Healthy
    June 12, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Your pictures are SOOOO beautiful and this souffle sounds and looks amazing!

• abby
    June 16, 2014 at 11:30 am

That looks gloriously divine! I am craving it right now! Pinning this. Thanks for stopping by Manila Spoon. :)

• Lisa H.|from My Lemony Kitchen...
    June 16, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Awesome photos of Mingus helping out 😀
    Souffle looks yummy :)

• Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies
    June 18, 2014 at 3:24 pm

This definitely looks better than firetrucks. Sounds and looks delicious!

• kristy @ the wicked noodle
    June 19, 2014 at 10:52 am

Wow, this really looks like something special. I adore that pic of your son blowing the parmesan – great shot and he’s adorable!!

• Marissa | Pinch and Swirl
    June 20, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Your son is correct – and adorable – cheese is the best (except fire trucks of course). Perfect late spring meal…

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    June 23, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Your pictures brought so many smiles to my face, looks like it was a super fun day in the kitchen!

• Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella
    June 23, 2014 at 7:19 pm

What a great helper you have! Hehe not like fire trucks? Adorable!

• eat good 4 life
    June 24, 2014 at 10:30 am

Your pictures look fantastic. I have never made souffle before. I am afraid :-) Yours looks terrific. What a great helper you have!!

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cookign
    June 27, 2014 at 12:28 am

This sounds delicious! Your son is an adorable young gourmet! Maybe a chocolate soufflé would surpass firetrucks?

June 28, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Yes- you’re absolutely right – must give it a try…. he’s completely obsessed with chocolate. For lunch today, he somehow hopefully convinced himself we were having “chocolate covered lasagna” instead of – what we were actually having, “cheese covered lasagna”

• google plus adwords
    August 12, 2014 at 1:36 am

Genuinely no matter if someone doesn’t understand then its up to other viewers
    that they will help, so here it happens.

• yahoo
    August 27, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Hey there! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 4!
    Just wanted to say I love reading through
    your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the superb work!

• social anxiety in teens
    September 5, 2014 at 7:54 am

Great web site you havee got here.. It’s difficult to find excellent writing like yours these days.
    I seriously appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

• groundbeeftacos.com
    September 13, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Hmm is anyone else having problems with the images on this blog loading?
    I’m trying to determine if its a problem on my end
    or if it’s the blog. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• заявление на алименты супругу
    September 30, 2014 at 10:12 am

Can I simply just say what a comfort to discover somebody who genuinely understands what they’re talking about online.
    You actually know how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
    More people must check this out and understand this side of your story.
    I was surprised you’re not more popular given that you surely possess the gift.

• Philipp
    October 1, 2014 at 11:43 pm

It means the video telephone can only unlock under the surveillant
    condition of monitor, which can avoid the accident circumstance without monitoring, such as misoperation or children random press on the unlock
    key cause the door open etc. One of the advantages of
    wireless doorbells is that the end unit with the
    bell or chimes unit can be left mobile and taken from room to room, even into the garden; such is
    the ease of mobility, without being tied down literally to
    a set of cables and wires. Seal the gaps with the help of a trim molding and you are now ready to enjoy the benefits of your system.

• Giselle
    October 21, 2014 at 6:58 pm

I absolutely love your blog and find many of your post’s to be just
    what I’m looking for. Does one offer guest writers to write content in your case?
    I wouldn’t mind publishing a post or elaborating on most of the subjects you write about here.
    Again, awesome site!