Chocolate Almond Ice Cream Pops

July 9, 2014   |   25 Comments

I foolishly set expectations high this morning when I declared there would be “a special treat”.  It is, after all Treat Day.  In my coy attempt to conjure ideas, I asked, “What do you think it will be?”

Beluga: I want it to be chocolate!

Me: You always want chocolate.

There’s been some argument recently about when the treats should actually be.  We have three official treat days: Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.  3pm.  That leaves Monday and Tuesday for the kids’ taste buds to recuperate.  And truly, by Tuesday, they eat more vegetables. (Because isn’t vegetable consumption the gold standard by which we mums judge ourselves?)

Beluga: Mommy, I want a treat!

Me: Is it Treat Day?  (End of conversation.)

Last Thursday, Mingus requested a special compensation – to get a treat for breakfast, at Le Pain Quotidien.  We made a very special plan to walk Daddy to work, across the park, and stop off for gauffres before hitting the playground sprinklers.  It was lovely, though I did note that Mingus woke at 5:45, so eager was he to eat his gauffre.  Less lovely was the bickering come Sunday.  It started before they even took their first bite of lunch:

Beluga: I want a treat!

Me: It’s not treat time.

Beluga: What if I eat all my lunch?

Me: Hmmm. (I too am lusting after ice cream bars in the freezer)

Mingus: (looking suspiciously at his plate) What if I eat just the bell peppers?

I put up a good fight.  In the end, it was a weak moment.  And in my defense, I am pregnant (yes, pregnant!) and after three steak tacos, I was still ravenous.  Hagen Dazs 1: Dr. Weiss 0

Monday and Tuesday I held firm (with them).  I won’t forget that time the Mathematician came home after bedtime, and opened the freezer.  The sound of the sliding drawer awoke dear Beluga; he dashed into the kitchen, “It’s not Treat Day! May I have some?”  And so when I sneaked ice cream Monday night, I made extra sure – nudge-them-sure – that both boys were in a deep slumber.

After waiting two whole days, the Wednesday treat is the most important one of the week.  So, back to that question, “What do you think the treat will be?”

Mingus: I definitely want ice cream.

Fast forward a few hours, they come home from romping at Grandma’s and I have a cream base rolling on the stove.

4Q2A6150-650pw

We mix in a few extra ingredients, pop it in the fridge (build some Lego vehicles, race them) whir a few more ingredients into the cooled cream… and Beluga pours it all into the magic ice cream machine.

4Q2A6187-650pw

Followed by taste tests, of course.

4Q2A6189-650pw

And the kid-driven decision to add maple syrup.

4Q2A6192-650pw2

Patience is required to load brand new ice cream into pop forms, place them into the freezer, and then have full knowledge ice cream is sitting in the freezer uneaten for hours.  The joy of pulling the pops out of their forms inspires a happy dance throughout the apartment – leaps, racing, squeals of joy.  Yippppeeeee!  Ice CReeeeaaammmm!!!

4Q2A6262-650pw

Shake, shake, shunk, phffff.  Sprinkles coat a sheet of parchment paper.

4Q2A6237-650pw

4Q2A6278-650pw

And then, there is silence.  Many minutes of silent, absorbed, satisfied eating.

4Q2A6266-650pw

4Q2A6279-650pw

Peacefulness has taken over the kitchen, but I’m thinking ahead, “If only there were night-time housekeepers.”  Mingus tosses his pop stick in the trash, lowers his mouth to the floor and begins hoovering up the spilled sprinkles.  Five second rule… (um, five minute rule…) I let it go and embrace the newly clean floor.  A child’s gift to his mother.

• Matt
    July 9, 2014 at 3:30 pm

One of your best yet! Loved the spontaneity, the honesty, the playfulness. And holy cow, that looks delicious.

• Thalia @ butter and briochet
    July 9, 2014 at 10:39 pm

yum! these look delicious… definitely a recipe i will be recreating. thanks for the awesome inspiration!

• Amy @ Elephant Eats
    July 10, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Mmm, these sound great! Good idea to have treat days…i’ll have to remember that. And congrats on the pregnancy!!!

• Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic
    July 12, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Ice cream, a few minutes of peacefulness, and a clean floor! What a nice ending :)

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cookign
    July 13, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Yum!!! I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t get up early for waffles! And these ice cream pops look fabulous! Love all the photos of the helpers! So cute

July 14, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Not only do these pops look amazing, but yay, congrats on the new baby on the way!! :) That’s really exciting!

Also: I love that you have Treat Days in your house. Smart idea. Sets boundaries and guidelines for everyone but still includes treats multiple times per week. Smart cookie!

• Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies
    July 14, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I love your idea of having treat days — I wish my parents would have had a similar policy! Maybe then I wouldn’t think every day is treat day 😉

July 31, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I have that same problem! I grew up devouring a box of cookies and am trying to rewire myself at the same time:)

• Marissa | Pinch and Swirl
    July 14, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I love everything about this – everything!! And congratulations! Lucky little one…

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    July 14, 2014 at 4:45 pm

These are adorable and delicious. The star shape gave me a great big smile!

• Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella
    July 14, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Hehe I can imagine how much they look forward to treat days! And adding maple syrup is a great idea! 😀

• Barbara @ Barbara Bakes
    July 14, 2014 at 10:59 pm

What an adorable post! I love that you got your kids involved in making the treat as well.

• abby
    July 15, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Wow! I can see why the kids love them! They look so delish! Fantastic photos, too.

• Kim@Treats & Trinkets
    July 18, 2014 at 3:46 pm

These pops look amazing! I’ve totally been craving popsicles lately. These might be going on my list. 😀

I can’t blame your little one for eating the sprinkles off the floor. I’m a sucker for chocolate jimmies myself. 😉

• eat good 4 life
    July 18, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I always love your pictures and the fact that your kids help you in the process. I am going to have to get your same method of treat day!! My kids are abusing sweets way too much :-)

July 31, 2014 at 2:03 pm

We just got back from a week in Paris (where treat days do not exist) and the kids actually seemed relieved to be back on schedule. The anticipation is almost as good as the actual thing!

• Rachel @ Bakerita
    July 22, 2014 at 1:19 am

Love these!!! They look so delicious, and so perfect for the summertime. Pinned!

• Von
    August 3, 2014 at 5:12 am

Awww…your kids sound so cute! :) Love the idea of treat day!! I don’t think I ate ‘treats’ everyday as a kid, but now I can’t imagining going through a day without one haha…. so unhealthy of me eh? Your ice cream pops sound amazing though (I don’t think I’d have the patience to wait for the ice cream pops though- I’d probably eat it all straight from the machine!), and they’re so cute too!

• Laura @ Family Spice
    August 6, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Sounds like me – I always want chocolate, too!

• Melanie @ Happy Being Healthy
    August 9, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Oh my WORD, your ice cream looks so delicious! I’m loving the sprinkles too. So fun and refreshing!

• Anne
    August 11, 2014 at 7:39 pm

OMG. Just so amazing… Lovely pictures! I am at loss for words to describe this wonderful creation!

• Molly
    August 13, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I want one of these!! Anything dunked in sprinkles and I am SOLD. Also, congratulations! :)

• Nami | Just One Cookbook
    August 20, 2014 at 3:37 am

You have beautiful children and I had so much fun seeing them make these ice cream pops! I have two kids as well, now age 8 and 6, so I can relate to your conversation etc. This looks delicious!

• Jessica @ Sweet Menu
    September 18, 2014 at 3:58 am

Aw super cute pops! They look delicious!

• Towables
    December 15, 2015 at 2:04 am

Right here is the perfect webpage for everyone who really wants to understand this topic.
    You understand so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really will need to…HaHa).
    You definitely put a fresh spin on a subject which has been written about for a
    long time. Excellent stuff, just excellent!